Re: [at-l] Now I'm SCARED

Glenda D Hubbard wrote:
a tent, which I have been told, very bluntly, that it is
> way to heavy!!!  (6 lbs.)  My reason for purchasing a two-person tent
> verses a bivy or tarp is because I need the extra space.

First the disclaimer.....I'm not a thru and don't play one on the
internet.

But I am a happier hiker since I started taking a couple looks at
the stuff I put in my pack.  And I've hung around here long enuff
to know that while the following is true...

It's your hike so if you...
1) Want to carry it
2) Can carry it
Nobody here will seriously tell you you shouldn't!
We may quietly question your sanity <grin>.

the reall trick is to draw a line between what you need,
what you think you need, what you want, and what you think you want.
Here's where the some outitters can be your enemy.  You walk in
and tell them your gonna hike the AT for six months and they seem
to automatically guide you to the biggest packs in the shop.  After
all..your gonna be on the trail for months so your gonna need a lotta
stuff....right?  Truth is, hiking the AT is really, mostly a series of
three, four and five day hikes. No way do you NEED a 6000 cube in
pack to go into the woods for four days.  But if you get one, since
you have the space, there is a natural law of the universe...nature
abhors a vacum.....so you tend to find things to stick in there.

Well i am boardering on blathering...back to your tent.

Which one is it?
Have you seamed sealed it?
Have you used it?
Can you take it back?
Can you afford a hundred bucks to buy a different one.
Why am I asking?   Cause 6 pounds is too heavy.
WAAAAYYYY too heavy!

I understand where you are coming from .....about the shelters
and not being experienced enough for a tarp.  Where I hike,
there are no shelters so I carry a roomy tent but none of
mine..not even the one I use when I travel with two dogs weighs that

Some suggestion:
Eureka Zephyr 8 ft X 3 ft under 4 pounds
http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=12282&prmenbr=226
Popular on the AT in years past but I think it's light weight niche
has been usurped my the Nomad now.  Easy pitch, freestanding.  The

And it's on SALE for 90 bucks

XT model has vestibule but at added ounzes and cost.
http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=45933&prmenbr=226

Coleman Peak One
Have one but haven't given it a fair test yet.  Very roomy for 1
..close to 30 sq feet, under 4 lbs and often on sale
for under a hundred bucks.  Sorry i don't have a url for this one.
It's not on the Coleman site.  Anyone seen one lately?

I can here ya asking....why is she showing me tents that are only
two pounds lighter than i one I have?  I have a challenge for you.
Put two pounds of anything in a belly bag or a daypack and wear it
all day for the next week and then ask yourself if packing two extra
pounds is better than not packing two extra pounds. Now do the same
thing
with four pounds of something and then look at these......

Nomad http://wanderlustgear.com/
Lots of people here have one and can fill you in on these nifty
under 2 lb tents.  Problem is that I'm not sure you can get one
since Kurt is helping out with his dad.  If you want one, I'd
try and order one now for a 01 thru.

Stephenson's  http://www.warmlite.com/tents_In.htm
A freaking palace for one person and pricey but if ya have the bucks..
probably close to 40 sq feet and about 2 1/3 pounds.

Finally, and I know I'm getting pushy here, but what happens if
you get used to crawlie things after a couple months.  Or you
hook up with a great group who usually shelters and you are tired
of the extra time it takes to to  set camp or tear down or you just
would really rather not get the tent wetter and heavier and you end up
spending alot of nights in the shelters?  It nutty in my book to be
shelterless even if you plan on sleeping in the shelters, so you
are stuck carrying SIX POUNDS of tent that you hardly ever use.....
Wouldn't it be better to be stuck with 2 or four pounds of tent?

One last word.....Think twice before you buy a gear loft or custom
footprint.  The first is a car camper thing and the second can be done
lighter and cgeaper in Tyvek.

I know there are other gearheads on this list and i hope they'll kick in
here.  I'm not an expert and these suggestions are just something
for you to think about.