Re: [at-l] trekking poles

Hmm, good points...

Could be good to mention that if your fingers (wrists, etc.) go numb while
hiking, you should probably adjust those pack straps (shoulder and load
lifters).  If you start getting shooting pains down your legs (a la
sciatica), you should probably adjust your hip belt (and pressure points).

With hiking pole straps used properly, the straps lay flat on the back of
your hands (not your wrists) rather than "under" your wrists.  They then
wrap around your hands while staying flat, cross your palm and come out
between thumb and forefinger.  That way, pressing down with your arms
presses the pole into your hand without requiring you to grip the pole.

Anyway, thankfully, my hands weren't really that bad - no pain, no numbness
or tingling.  I just hadn't had to use my fingers to do much more than open
my stove in six months.  Things like packing my sleeping bag and pad didn't
require strength in my fingers as much as the hands.  One of those rubber
gadget thingies was enough to help me open jars.  I probably still had more
strength in my hands than my mother ever had (she was always asking us to
open jars for her, etc.)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

P.S.  At the start of the hike, a lot of people tried to solve foot problems
by tightening their boots.  As it turned out, loosening boots ended up
relieving a lot of pain, too.

P.P.S.  If you do not use poles, your hands/fingers are likely to swell up
from dangling at your sides while walking.  This doesn't seem to be a
problem for hiking pole users.