Re: [at-l] Internal Pack

Well, there are many wrong ways to load a pack. I know, I've done them!

Your idea has merit, but you might reconsider where you pack your tent
and groundcloth. If you put it inside your pack, you will be putting
water inside your pack - even if in the bottom portion. By attaching
the tent and groundcloth to an external pouch of your pack, it is out
there to dry and to take the rain. At the very least a small (silnylon)
and light tarp can be put there and used as a canopy while you begin to
set up camp.

I like the lighter and less dense stuff in the bottom, with my bag and
clothing in a compression sack down there just above, if there is a
seperate zipper. I've just started using a Danna Bombpack for my pack,
which has no bottom zipper, only a large top loading bag. It has
several places to store wet stuff against the bag, room for a small
pack cover (what is it good for?) below the shoulder straps, and
several means to layer the contents. It is a bit small at 3500 cubic
inches, but that focuses my packing and choice of gear. My Nomad packs
down very small, but stays outside the pack.

The key thing is to keep the heavy stuff near the top or near your
back. Otherwise, the heavy stuff should be in the pack your hiking
buddy is carrying. I'm looking forward to seeing how well my drug rep
does with my TNF Beheamouth Pack in 3 weeks!

Bill....