No Subject

Linda, I just got my second pair of $400 orthotics.  The first time I got
them, I had to wear them in my podiatrist-approved sneakers for three months.
 My feet weren't supposed to touch the ground unless I was in those shoes
with those arthotics.  I really don't know when I first started feeling
better (not wincing the first steps of the morning), but I do know that at
the end of three months I was completely symptom-free.  Being symptom-free
unfortunately made me think I could wear the orthotics less and less and
"regular" shoes more and more.

I wore the orthotics in all my sneakers.  The major requirements for the
sneakers were:
1.  The back of the shoe (the leather part in the back) must be very hard and
inflexible.

2.  If you place your hands palm to palm and then put the shoe between them
and push, the shoe should bend at the point your foot would bend.  The arch
of the shoe must not bend, just the part around the ball of your foot.

It took me FIVE pair of shoes to find one the podiatrist approved.  I
recommend Asics as being especially worthy.

As to hiking boots,--there's the rub.  I have NEVER found boots that meet the
above criteria, most especially the bending part.  Let me know if you do.

I'm now getting over another foot problem--bunion and hammer toe surgery.

Bottom line, the orthotics and special sneakers are well worth the effort.
They are terrific for day hikes and hikes with light packs.  If I'm on rocky
ground, I do wear boots (with the orthotics in them), but my feet will feel
that something in the equation has been missing.

Call me if you want to talk about this:  407/ 365-6036 or SUNCOM 345-6469 and
ask for me.

Are you going to ALDHA this year?

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com