[at-l] Teachers, New listers and stuff (was "Rookies Gear List")

dmyers@eucsc.k12.in.us writes:

<< Occupation:  6th grade teacher (an aside:  by the end of the year parents
 are calling me asking where to by backpacking gear because I'm convinced all
 the kids this is something they need to do!!)

I second the teacher thing!  If not for the ex's wonderful teacher (and
football coach), who probably managed to steer him from being a delinquent by
introducing him to rock climbing, backpacking, rafting, etc, then *I*
wouldn't have experienced it.  Thanks to him, Toney passed on the love of
those outdoor pursuits to me, and then to my kids - and even though they are
pursuing other things these days as teenagers, they learned at the young ages
of 4 and 6, and throughout many years after, that they *can* do those things.
 I think that had a lot to do with the confident, self-sufficient people they
are turning out to be.  He now teaches 4th grade special ed, and also is my
15 yr old daughters karate instructor.  So - I'd say that teachers who love
the outdoors have an opportunity to influence not only the kids they teach,
but the generations who come after.  Incredible, when you think about it.
And my hat (HATT??) is off to you - because you have to be a special person
to put up with other peoples kids, and love it <g>. (and is that armor you're
wearing shining? ;-) )

Location:  Indy, IN >>

Is it just me, or does Indiana have the highest concentration of hikers on
this list???? When did Indiana become the hiking capitol of America??  Maybe
we should get a "where are you?" thread going?

And in the meantime - we seem to have a lot new people here recently (lurkers
or just new to the list).  Welcome to the campfire to all of you.  Have a
smashmellow.  Post your gear list for Kahleys demolishing (uh, I mean,
helpful tuckerization) of it. ;-)  And have you reserved *your* HATT section
today? <g>

http://friends.backcountry.net/hatt

The Redhead