Re: [at-l] getting good sleep on the trail

Mara wrote:

>For those who can sleep on them, I think the z-rest is one of the most
>practical sleeping pads (though the ridge rest may be lighter).  But being
>able to sleep is more important.  Wish I could sleep on a z-rest...

I have an ultralight (hah!) Thermarest 3/4 XL, which is 25 inches wide, so
my shoulders are actually on the pad, not hanging off. It's 1 pound 15
ounces, and the most comfortable pad I've ever used.

Last spring I tried my daughter's 3/4 Ridgerest. I found that it was quite
uncomfortable on hard ground or in a shelter, but fine on forest duff or
grass. It weights 11 ounces.

I just purchased a 3/4 Z-Rest, which I have not yet used, but it is *much*
softer than the Ridgerest, so I am hopeful it is a good compromise at <1
pound.

Note that with the closed cell foam pads, I'm back to having my shoulders
and elbows hangning off the pad, which is not fun. OTOH, I *really* like
having a 3/4 length pad strapped to the outside of my pack, so I can use it
for rest breaks. Much more comfy than a tiny sit pad, and now it does
double-duty. (I was always wary of using my Thermarest as a sitpad/rest pad
for fear of leaks.)

So it's the usual trade-off of comfort versus weight. (And it's not really
overall comfort, either, it's *camping* comfort -- the heavier your pack,
the less comfortable the hike while you're actually hiking.) I'm looking
forward to trying the Z-rest. I also think that _where_ you sleep is
important -- shelter floors need a lot more padding than the ground.

Cheers,
Ken