[at-l] Re: [ALDHA-L] Hostel & Hiker Problems

WARNING: Rant and Rave Follows!!!

Although this may seem heavy handed, I think that those who destroy property and engage in unruly behavior should be arrested and prosecuted.   At least restrict their liberty by putting them in the county lock up for a day or two.

I didn't see too much of this behavior during my 1998 thruhike.  Most of the business and hostels said the riffraff comes later in the season.

There did appear to be an attitude among hikers that the local law enforcement agencies would bend the rules and let them off with a warning.  From a strictly economic viewpoint, this may be cost effective for law enforcement in the short term.  In the long term, some will learn how far the rules can be bent and attempt to bend them.

The poor behavior of a few is now affecting the liberties of the many.  As a trail community we cannot allow this to stand.  The "boys will be boys" attitude will destroy the feelings of good will that many extend.

I don't buy the idea that "education" will work.  For the most part, town behavior should be based on common courtesy.  It is obvious that these hooligans do not wish to afford such courtesies to helpful strangers and merchants.

If we do not act in this matter we may be left with a trail where no one will pick up a hitchhiker and no one will go out of his or her way to help an injured hiker.  Those who do serve hikers will start charging much higher fees to cover possible losses.

My alter ego would like to point out that the trail may have become "too easy."  Loss of some of these services may stop the partying since only serious travelers will hike.  Higher prices may force out some of the hooligans (those who can't afford lawyers).

Cheers,
Terry Norton
Ultralite'98

http://www.peoplepc.com