[at-l] neophyte cyberhiker

Hey all,

Thought I'd join the latest wave of intros.  Been skulking from the office
for a few days now, the (not-so-) secret desire to blow this barren
technoplex and head out to the woods hidden behind my business casual
veneer.  Thought I'd at least let you know there's another body out here
listening in.

Being such an infant at all this AT stuff, I don't have a clever trail
moniker, so just know me as Shannon.  I'm living in Northern Virginia, aka
AutoBacchanalia, a little town called Oakton.  Used to be little.  Now it's
track mansions and traffic clogs.

I'm not here for much longer, and in September, on my way to whatever's
next, I'll be heading out for my first-ever big backpacking trek, 3 weeks
(measly?  seems monstrous to me) on the AT through a chunk of Virginia.  I'm
the big gear-junkie now, probably qualified to be part owner of Hudson Trail
Outfitters, and I'm certain my purchasing frenzy is a manifestation of both
the weird pathology of American abundance and my frantic desire to BE
PREPARED for any eventuality.  The newsflashes about downed climbers is
giving me (and my dear mother) much fire for the cellphone fight.

I still feel helplessly stupid about most of this stuff, learning as much as
I can from WWW-dots and whatever over-pawed books the Fairfax County library
has available.  But I have endless questions and hope to be able to use this
forum to put some of them out, benefit from the obvious experience and care
many of you bring to this adventure.

10-4
shannon