[at-l] Weekend in the Whites AND Greens

Hi all,

I did a lot of driving this weekend and a fair bit of hiking, too.

A friend of mine and his wife were doing one last weekend in the Whites
before moving to Illinois.  A small group of us went up to hang out with
them.  (I'll have to get them in touch with all you midwest hikers.)

So, I hiked up Madison in on and off drizzle and rain and set up camp with
two others from the group and then hiked up to the Hut where the friends who
were moving stayed.  I hung out up there Friday evening until 10:00 talking
with them and a couple of southbound thruhikers (Companero (sp?) and Cool
Hand Luke) and then hiked back to my tent in the dark using just my yellow
Photon light.  No problem.

The next morning, I went back up to the hut and then climbed Madison with
the group.  Met another SOBO (?).  Came down, back to the tent, packed up,
and went down that Saturday.

I still had an extra day and a half so I drove over to the LT to see if I
could find the GPS gang again.  Stopped at the Long Trail Restaurant/Tavern
in Johnson where I found out the GPS gang was in town.  While I was waiting
for them to return, I checked out the register.  Saw entries from some AT
friends from last year and Twilight amongst others.

Hung out that evening and the next morning with the GPS gang before they got
back on the trail.  This time, I only hiked an hour or so with them before I
had to turn around to get back to Boston.  They are still doing great and
have some great stories to tell (Eight miles after 1:00pm, flying peanut
butter, and more).  I'll leave it to them to fill in the details.

Boring drive home.

I'ld rather be hiking,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99