[at-l] Trip report

ACTUAL "PLAN "C" TRIP REPORT!!!!!
Well.....plan "C" went as scheduled. We parked at the I70 footbridge of
the MD section of the AT. It was very nice hiking
weather...overcast....slight breeze. I LOVE the feel of
coolmax....ok....I'm gonna be gettin this stuff for work wear!
BUT..after less than a mile, those darn undies had to go.....very
binding. So Fur told me to take 'em off or I'd be sorry later. So I
sneak behid a large tree to get 'em off. I no sooner had my shorts up
till a family w/ young kids come past. Geesh! Another mile and I had to
"go #1". Fur laughed and pointed into the trees. I know this may sound
strange.....but I never really had to do that before. I was an
unbalanced mess....(lots to learn, for sure!) Before I even got back
down to the trail, another day hiker came through. Fur said throughout
the trip, if we should be lonely for company, I should just take off my
pants!
The trail was quite nice.....different than the C&O canal I was used to,
but much better in many ways. UNTIL.....the approach to the Washington
Monument. GOOD GRIEF...(huff, puff). "I want a switchback and I want it
NOW!" Farther down the trail (AND with my trousers on) we met up with
the first thru-hiker in our journey. Nice young guy "Flip" a north
bounder traveling a bit behind schedule due to a family wedding....we
talked about flip floping to K...and going south. We gave him an orange,
and he smiled BIG! We took alot of rest breaks and arrived at "Dahlgren"
camping area which was our target destination. We chatted with a nice
north bounder heading to see his brother in PA. for a few months. Also a
North bounder, "tin man", and "Lion King", stopping on their way. Also
camping with us, was a fellow heading home to Atlanta....his first day
on the trail too. He was even more rookie than me, (he was carrying a 10
lb.+ tent) He was also trying to quit smoking.....not a good equasion.
But he had a great spirit....he'll be fine. Supper was good....but what
do ya do from 8:30 till sleep? AND the 2 peson tent we had was
great!....except.....the design tapered down at one end....nice and
light, BUT...I got a bit chlostrophobic. Next time....I WANT TO USE A
DOME TENT...(we have a cheepie from K-mart that ways like 2 1/2 lbs.) It
rained off and on all night, and in the morning, there were so many
long-legger spiders, I told Fur "daddy...they took my boot" ( a favorite
line from Disneys Tarzan movie). We had big laughs, ate, and started out
for our return. It was a nice trip back, no surprises except for 2
snakes.....not the poisonous variety though. We gave high-fives when we
returned to the foot bridge and the truck was still there! Stopped at
KFC (hehehehehe love those chicken tenders and 'tato wedges) and wished
we didnt have to return to civilization so quickly. PLUS the darn grass
needs mowed. We picked up kids from camp on Fri.....they are already
bickering, and fighting, and we are planning our next get away.....soon,
very soon!
Thanx for all the well wishes, FurTrappers is recovering nicely, Lyme
not too active from the work-out!

Good Hiking
Landslides

.....I climbed a mountain and I turned around. And I saw my reflection
in a snow covered hill, till a landslide brought me down......(from
Fleetwood Mac...Landslide)