[at-l] Raining ice... and other adventures of the Sloetoe gang

Hi all,

I did meet up with the GPS gang (that's Gumby, Pokey, and Sloetoe, not some
electronic device) on Saturday.  They've had some wet weather and so far,
are moving a bit slower than anticipated but are all still having a
wonderful time.  Those kids are hiking machines when they are well rested.
When not so well rested, they find more reasons to stop along the way -
moths, frogs, rocks, etc. - but keep going in good spirits (if a bit slow)
anyway when reminded.  Wow!

Shortly after I met up with them, we had some pea sized hail come down.  It
was the first time the kids had ever seen hail and they thought it was so
great to pick up a piece of frozen rain and watch it melt in their hands.

So anyway, here's some thoughts from Sloetoe:  (remember, don't shoot the
messenger, thank you.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unordered thoughts from just south of Jay Pk (Hazen's Camp) w/in sight of
Canada:

1)  Woodelf, I hate you.  (Regarding not taking pack cover, having to live
w/8000 rattling, slipping, failing, stuff sacks, baggies, Target bags, yet
still having wet gear at the end of the day.)

2)  Orange bug, you loon you! [Editors note:  that's the word he wrote, not
"spoke"  :-)  ]  (Regarding Gatorade v. water with stressed hikers to care
for.)

3)  Coosa, give it another chance.  (Re taking small person hiking.  It's
not the age or the temperment, it's the experience level.  Gradualism in
introduction can bring even old pharts [sic] into the outdoors fold.)

4)  It's hard to "hike the ribbon" when they keep putting steps half as high
as *you* in the way.  [Editor's note:  and they haven't gotten to Devil's
Gulch yet.]

5)  Who stole the mountains and replaced them with soap?  [Ed. a reference
to fog.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other memorable events from the weekend...

I got a great backrub from Cole.  :-)  [Solar Bear - welcome back but you
got some competition now in the form of a 6 year old hiking machine.  :-)  ]

"Good Rip"  - outdoor version of "excuse me" when someone burps.

The mountains kept getting "ripped off" behind the fog - gotta love those
kid-isms.

I now have a trunk full of stuff they don't need anymore.  Even the kids got
into the ounce shedding frenzy.  Cool.

It's easier to use "hey you" when you're with a twin and don't know which
one.  :-)  Especially since they kept switching hats/backpacks/etc. just to
keep me guessing.

And more but it's late and I've got to get home.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99