[at-l] Good News - Bad News

The bad news is my back still hurts like a toothache.
The good news is the doctor's have found a combination of drugs that allow me
to pretend I'm almost normal for a few hours a day.

The bad news is that my hiking and climbing have slowed to a near halt.
The good news is that my recent visit with Give Me Chocolate has inspired me
to head out starting Monday, for three days and two nights into the
Pemigewassett Wilderness in the White Mountains.

The good news is that I've got my pack weight (without food or water) pared
down to less than 12% of my body weight.
The bad news is my body weight is within a lexan spork of 300 pounds.

The good news is I'll be taking Bandit, the wonder dog, with me.
The bad news is he eats 2 pounds per day and is not trained to a pack.

The good news is that the weather forecast is for good weather.
The bad news is that those forecasts haven't been right for over two years.

The good news is that I won't be carrying my laptop, radio or cel-phone.
The bad news is that I won't be carrying any fuel, stove, pans or food
either.  Hmmmm - 300 pounds - no food - maybe that's a good news too.

Wish me luck, and make sure that all advice on how to reduce my pack weight
is accompanied by contributions sufficient to purchase the new lighter
equipment that you recommend.

Snail Male  (Pete Wells)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece,
but to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out,
shouting "GERONIMO".