Re: [at-l] Some Early Planning

At 04:34 PM 7/19/2000, AT-L Guest Post wrote:
>  1.  Can we do Springer to somewhere in GSNP in 3 weeks?

Quite reasonably. That is about 8-10 miles per day. I did Rock Gap (near
Franklin, NC) to Newfound Gap this spring in 9 days. That is usually 1.5
weeks out of Springer. You can do some 15 mile days or better, and spend
time in NOC, Franklin, Fontana and resupply. It is conceivable that you
would make it to Davenport Gap on the north end of GSNP, but I'd predict
Newfound Gap and a hitch down to Gatlingburg, TN. Essentially, those are
your only choices.

>2.  Is it possible to "plan" your days ahead of time? (ie: where you will
>be and when)  It just seems difficult to be able to say now how much we'll
>be able to hike each day.

It is a good idea to plan ahead. It lets your friends know where to have
the National Guard go look for your body when you fail to arrive at a
scheduled stop.

>  3. Do we need reservations for the shelters in GSNP?

Probably not. You would qualify as a long distance hiker and would be able
to have a "thruhiker pass" including permission to tent near a shelter if
it were full.

>4. Other than hot, anyone know the weather for that part of the country in
>July?

Variable. Nights can be quite cool into the 50's near 3000' and higher.
Daytimes can be brutally hot. If the drought doesn't break by this time
next year, the dust storms may be severe. If a tropical storm floats by,
the trees falling can be a real hazard.

>5.  Why is big such a small word and little such a big word?

These words were designed by committee as part of a mission statement.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA