Re: [at-l] ATML on Bryson movie

Coosa,

Very well put.  Bryson's concentrated use of Southerners as material may
have been based on several factors, but I think it comes down to two points:

1.  We're an easy mark.
2.  He couldn't make fun of yankees because he didn't hike that far. :)  Had
he only known.....he could have hiked 90 miles south of Springer and found
about a million......

Oh, and Lewis Grizzard IS indeed funny, but he was a heck of writer whether
he was doing a humorous piece or not.  His ability to communicate his
insight on Southern life was legendary.

Tim

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:44:28 -0400, Coosa wrote:

>>snipped<<
>  Patrick McManus and Lewis Grizzard are funny.
>  Jeff Foxworthy is funny.  Why?  Because when they describe a personality
>  type, they don't use the person's real name and then satirize the
person's
>  disability or make fun of an actual living individual.
>>>snipped<<<
>  So, was Bryson writing the true story or one that would make him money?
>  think the truth is that he was/is a writer and used the backpacking as an
>  experience he could write about first hand.  What he forgot, was that he
was
>  hurting real people when he used real people's names and that he made a
lot
>  of enemies in the South at least.   His brand of "humor" at the expense
of
>  others is not considered funny by Southerners.  Southerners love a good
>  joke, even at our expense, but don't go picking on people by name.

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html