[at-l] Well, that's what she said...

Mr. Potter's John Deere sputtered its way down Tulip Street. Mr. Potter
gave me a two-fingered wave, just like he always did. I waved back.
That's the kind of town Lyons, Indiana was.

Mrs. Purtlebaugh was shaking throw-rugs. Dust was flying and she was
sneezing. I was sitting on a five gallon bucket underneath the Maple
tree. I'd been collecting Junebug ghosts, but lost interest.

"Ain't the Sadie Hawkins Dance tonight?" Mrs.Purtlebaugh asked.
"Yup" I said, matter-of-factly.
"Are you going?"
"I'm thinkin' so."
"Who asked ya?"
"Well, nobody yet. I'm pretty sure Jenny Eel's going to, though"

The phone rang and Mrs. Purtlebaugh went inside, sneezing as the
screen-door slammed. A hummingbird buzzed past and stopped at the hosta
briefly. I had to watch. I always did. Jimmy Shiflet's new Stingray,
complete with banana seat and sissy bar, came into view down the
sidewalk. He was looking excited about something.

"Hey, wanna go to the drive-in with us tonight?" he said.
"I can't. I think I have plans. What's playing anyway?"
"'The Monster that Ate Saigon'. Mom said she'd take us. What are you
doing?"
"I'm not sure" I said. I didn't want to tell him I hadn't been asked to
the dance yet.
"Hey! Did you hear who asked Shadley to the Hawkins Dance?"
"No, who?"
"That Eel girl. How 'bout that? Well, let me know if you wanna go to the
drive-in" he said as he rode off.

The screen-door slammed again and Mrs. Purtlebaugh was standing on the
porch. This time with a plate of Divinity and a glass of milk.

"So, what time does the dance start?" she asked as she sat on the porch
swing.
"I don't know. I ain't going" I said. "I'm going to the movies with the
Shiflets instead."

Mr. Pfizer's pick-up crept past and he gave me a two-fingered wave, just
like he always did...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98