RE: [at-l] Lyme Disease, Its Onset and Full-Blown State

  But seriously, there was a
> recent article up here in the Indianapolis Star stating the your
> should NOT
> burn off ticks, but rather use a tweezers to remove the entire
> tick.  Now if
> I remember correctly, this is opposite of what I have been
> taught.  Any new
> takes on this?  Which answer should I trust?

DO NOT BURN or any of the other things like applying alcohol. Tweezers is
the way to go. You want to make sure you get all the mouth parts out. For
Lyme, the tick can be attached for up to 24 hours or so before the
probability of being infected starts increasing. For some of the gory
details read the recent article in the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/071100sci-animal-tick.html