Re: [at-l] bears

tom@netword.com wrote:

> Lately there have been a number of stories (and anecdotes)
> of black bears attacking people.  Are these just floating
> to the top becuase there is heightened interest in the
> subject or is there an increase in reported incidents over
> prior years?

In northwestern Maine anyway, the berries are two weeks late
due to a uncooperative growing season. We've actually had
bears poking around our garden and bird feeders as late as
mid-morning, and they're surprisingly difficult to drive off;
simply showing your face within twenty feet of the bear doesn't
cut it.

-TXIIS