[at-l] Cheerio takes a break

The latest update from Cheerio, now in Central Virginia:

Hi Everyone,
This is one email I've been putting off cuz I just don't want to think it,
much less write it...  I may be off the trail.  You all have been hearing
about my problems on & off this whole hike with my feet and now its to the
point that I cant hike.

I took a long break in June to rest and heal, the pulled tendon healed, but
not the feet.  my 3rd day back on the trail I spent the last hours & miles
hiking in tears the pain in my feet was so severe.  My jaw hurt for 2 days I
was gritting it so hard.  I felt like someone had been beating the bottoms of
my feet with a cane - for days.  If my tent hadn't been stolen the day
before, I would have stopped when I found a note from a hiker pointing to
water.  but, with no shelter, I had to keep going... downhile for miles...
all on rocks.  bad situation became worse.  this was easily the hardest
afternoon I ever had on the trail.  I got to sugar run gap psyched that
woodshole hostel was just a half mile away.  heard a car on the road and
limped frantically thru the brush hoping they would see me and offer a ride.
My luck was in, it was Tillie Wood who runs the hostel.  She was up to take
down the signs cuz she had closed that day, but I must have looked real
pitiful cuz she offered to let me stay in the barn anyways and even offered
me breakfast.  What a Godsend, someone was looking out for me.  If she hadn't
been there, I would have seen the closed card on the sign and would have had
no choice but to hike 2 more miles uphill.  As it was 6pm, in my shape I
would have been arriving after dark, and since my headlamp was lifted along
with my tent, it would have been a scary nite hike in the dark frantically
looking for the shelter.

Next am Tillie arranged a ride down for me and I took a few days to heal the
feet once again.  Sandy came thru in typical AT-L friend fashion and
overnited her Nomad tent to me so I could continue.  I bought a mini mag
flashlite, filled my food bag and got ready to walk out of town.  Decided to
walk up the hill to a restaurant for dinner & back.  the feet died.   I
realized that if I couldnt even walk a mile w/o pain & hobbling, it wouldnt
be smart to try and walk the 60/70 some miles to the next stop.  I called my
old roomie, Marion, and she drove up from Richmond VA to get me.

I went to a Podiatrist here and got the bad news, my feet are screwed.  I
have severe plantar fascitis in both feet, its starting to develop into bone
spurs, I've got several neuroma thingys where the toes connect to the ball of
the feet and to top it all off I've got a foot fungus.  He gave me a shot in
the feet for the worse neuromas - that was a really gross thing to watch.  I
dont mind shots in the arm etc, but something about a shot in the foot where
its so bony really was freaky!  Anyways, I go back in another week & half to
see how its coming and if I can hike in August.  He says I have to get
insoles with better arch support and less stiffness than the superfeet
customs I got @ trail days.  Evidently, they may do a great job of holding my
foot in the right position, but they dont support my high arches or provide
enough stress cushioning.  Also no going barefoot at all.

I'm taking off tm to head south to do my field editing stuff for the
Companion.  Should be a good use of this time while I wait to hear the foot
news.  I dont want to end up with bone spurs, so if that is still a problem,
I'll have to be cutting the thru short.  Permanent foot trouble isnt in the
plan.  I'll send more when I hear the verdict, hopefully at least hike short
days

Cheerio  GA-?? 2000