Re: [at-l] CNN - Ban on FS roads

Greetings,

Regardless of my position on roads in national forests, the most
objectionable issue surrounding this proposal is that the presdent is
circumventing the legislative process, and the Constitution.  All of his
recent Executive Orders establishing national monuments have done the same
thing.  His governing by edict will only pick up pace after the election.
You may like the results of some, and you may be outraged by others, but
overtly circumventing the legislative process leaves me cold.  The
administration's perspective is perhaps best described by one of his
staffers, "Stroke of the pen, law of the land.  Kind of cool."

Tim

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:44:30 -0400, Coosa wrote:

>  Have you read this lead article?
>
>  http://www.cnn.com/NATURE/
>

>  "A Clinton administration plan to ban roads for mining, logging and other
>  traffic in many U.S. Forests has sparked a record 500,000 comments from
the
>  public, with most either backing the proposal or saying it doesn't go far
>  enough to protect the environment."
>  copyright cnn news
>
>  http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/07/12/environment.forest.reut/index.html
>
>  has the rest of the article
>
>  Considering that here in No Ga the position of most is against giving up
8%
>  more of the Chattahoochee National Forest to add to the other 8% that's
>  roadless.   These are the children of those who took the land from the
>  Cherokee and the Creek, and they're the ones yelling the loudest about
>  returning all of 16% of the Forest in the State to its natural state.
>
>  They have even compared the USFS position as like that of the period of
the
>  Cherokee Removal.   Only THIS time, the 'white-man' is on the 'other'
side
>  of the equation and they don't like it one bit.
>
>  Duh, C
>
>  Where there is discord, let me bring harmony.  Where there is pain, let
me
>  bring healing.  Where there is anger, let me bring forgiveness.   Where
>  there is war, let me bring peace.
>
>  * From the AT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html