[at-l] Hey, Rymin'Worm! Here's another...!

Shameless cross-post from the BackpackingLight@egroups.com
Once again, "one of our own" is lauded......
I really liked this guy's review.

> Message: 10
>    Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:36:38 -0000
>    From: "John Macri" <jpmac55@backpacker.com>
> Subject: "On the Beaten Path" by Robert Alden Rubin
>
> Greetings,
>
> I recently completed reading "On the Beaten Path" by Robert Rubin. It
> is a (recent) release about an Appalachian thruhike pilgrimage. You
> have probably read other journals if considering walking the 2100
> mile journey but I am sure you won't find one better. It is not a
> "how to" book. Rather, his prose are that of a trained writer which
> makes reading the journal swift and entertaining. Rubin somehow
> doesn't write much about his gear not unlike a surgeon omitting
> comments about a particular scalpel. Being a gear addict, I was
> dissappointed because of this omission but accepted the fact that his
> load was just plain heavy. Rubin does write of the heavy feeling in
> his heart as each step takes him further and further from his wife
> but closer to his ultimate goal of completing the trail.
>
> I never really considered thruhiking the Appalachian Trail. Too many
> sacrifices and excuses at this stage of my life. Robert Rubin felt
> the same way but one day realized he needed to do something
> meaningful for himself. I may not ever find myself on Springer
> Mountain in Georgia where the trail commences but after reading this
> delightful book, I will always look at thruhikers with a renewed
> amount of respect. - John

Have a great weekend, y'all!
Sloetoelius Maximus

=====
"The tragedy of man is not that a man dies,
     but what dies within a man while he's still alive."

               Mind your soul.