[at-l] Smokies & Miscellany

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Stephen Payne <paynes@alleg.edu>.
* Please use <mailto:paynes@alleg.edu> to reply to the sender.

Hi!  I'm planning my first ever jaunt on the AT for the first week of August, and I was wondering if those of you who are experienced could answer a few of my questions.

I'm looking to do a 70 mile loop starting and ending at Fontana Dam via the AT, Forney Ridge Trail, Forney Creek Trail, and Lakeshore trail.  If anyone knows of any trip reports in this area, I would appreciate pointers to them!

Also, since I've never been on the AT, or even hiked as far south as Tennessee (my experience is on a variety of trails in PA and also in the Sierras - John Muir Wilderness, etc.), I was wondering if I could get answers to a few questions.

First of all, how busy does the area tend to be around the first week of August?  Secondly, how exactly does one go about reserving shelter spots?  I've never backpacked anywhere with shelters anywhere, so I'm especially in the dark about this.  Finally, are there any general tips/hints/observations, about shelters, the AT, the trail, etc. that anyone can offer?

Thanks,
Stephen Payne

p.s.  How do people get their trail names?