Re: [at-l] i am leaving <longish with gearlist and mail stuff>

Um, I'm not going to tear this apart much but I did have some
comments/questions...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

>From: "Wisperlight" <jeanpaul@sysnet.net>
>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:24:20 -0400
>Other Bags -
>  OR waterproof stuff sack(for food...

Probably won't need it for food - most food is packaged in waterproof bags
anyway for those few times when it does get wet - or use cheapo grocery
store plastic bag and lightweight stuff sack).

>  Mesh Sack(for wet stuff, it attaches outside of pack)

Can probably just attach stuff to pack without bag.

>  2 compactor bags

Why?

>  Clip flashlight /w Ground Cloth and 15+1 stakes

15 Stakes?  Is this a typo?

>Cooking/Food Stuff
>  MSR Whisperlite /w Windscreens and 22oz bottle

22oz is probably twice what you'll need - try cooking some typical meals at
home first to get a better idea.

>  Lighter

(bury a couple of matches somewhere)

>  MSR 3 Dromedary Bag (I like it more than my platypus)

If you're using the bite valve adapter...  Have they come up with a better
design than their first rendition last year?  I don't know of anyone who had
a bite valve that didn't leak horribly (at the bag end - into their
backpacks usually) - all were abandoned almost immediately last year.  Other
than that, I really like the dromedary as just a water bag.  I've never
heard of any ever leaking.

>Safety/Other Stuff

(good place to add those matches.)

>  ALDHA companion(this is a big mental debate for me if I want to bring any
>guide book at all)

Worth having if only for road crossings and town stops.  Consider
photocopying and shrinking.  I got 14 pages on each of 8.5x11" double sided
copies (7 to a side).  Then I only carried the sheets I needed.

>  advil tums and imodium AD (about 4 of each)

Carry a lot more Advil.  There's a reason why it's called Vitamin-I.  If
you're going to need it, you're going to need a lot - 12 a day+ of the
regular strength.  Carry maybe 50 or so...  The tiny little ziploc bags that
bead stores use are great for carrying meds.