Re: [at-l] GSMNP AT & Miscellany

This sounds like a good trip, and the mileage sounds quite reasonable,
assuming the usual heat and potential for storms. You will want to contact
the park service and get reservations, especially if the shelters are a big
part of your planning. The walk from Fontana to Clingman Dome is a 4000
foot climb, but over about 35 miles. The first day will be the toughest,
with food and water loaded. I feel for you on this loop with a week's
supply of food.

The trip down will be neat, but I have heard mixed reviews regarding the
marking of Lakeshore Trail. Take maps and know how to use them. Unless you
do some big mile days, I expect you will simply close camp and hike to your
next campsite each day, not doing the basecamp deal (which can be a risk
with animals and other critters.)

And remember to get to your mountain peaks by 2PM and down in the afternoon
to avoid thunderstorm dangers. Have a big time.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA