To shake or not to shake.... was Re: [at-l] To filter or not to filter..

--- Tim Hewitt <thewitt@fairchildsemi.com> wrote:
> Paul A Magnanti <pmags@juno.com> wrote:
> > The book by Roland Musser(SP?) has a study. The percentage  of people
> > contracting giardia is the same for those who filter and those who do
> not.
>
> Giardia is the least common of the problems you run into because of poor
> sanitation or water-borne illness.
> The anecdotal study in Roland's book notwithstanding. It was not science by
> any means.
### Not science? Are we talking Kuhn? Lakatos? Popper? It was an unbiased
sampling of a population subset, with results derived statistically, and with
minimal interpretation. Hypotheses present themselves implicitly; I recall
the phrase as "normal science." Is this Kuhn's now trivialized "paradigm
shift"? All depends on the extant paradigm, now don't it.

> > Most GI illnesses  come from poor hygiene, something rather common on the
> > trail. In fact, I remember reading somewhere (sorry..can't remember
where)
> > where giardia (aka  bever fever) is more often than not transmitted by
> humans than animals.
>
> You are right on here. I cleaned up after every toilet session with an
> waterless antibacterial soap. I don't know how many people asked me if I
> had diarrhea medicine - they were not particularly good at personal hygiene
and certainly paid the price.
### Ahhhhhh, paddlerrrr. Did you shake hands with any of the hikers you met?
Yes? Did you clean up afterwards with that waterless antibacterial soap? Each
time, did you? Because in the United States, the most common method of
transmission is touching (a handshake with) another human; it's not the bugs
with which we're (so intimately) familiar.

[Evidentiary note: this used to found in the "~tdeagan" site mentioned last
week, and either I missed it last time through, or I think they've trimmed
out some rather illuminating information in that regard. Further..... I don't
think it's a good "fact" for me to quote any longer until I can
resubstantiate it. FWI.]

Sloetoe

=====
"The tragedy of man is not that a man dies,
     but what dies within a man while he's still alive."

               Mind your soul.