Re: [at-l] info sought on 3 month/12-15 week throughhike

--- ThatSloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com> wrote, like June 7, three weeks ago:
> Anybody on the list have direct experience with a 3 month (12-15 week)
> throughhike?>
> I am entertaining, lightly at this point, a three monther next year,
> perhaps bracketing June 21st, 2001 -- something like May, June, and July.
> Just investigating, mind you.....But...
> I recall from way back that 3 months was about the shortest time period/
> dividing line between a self-sustained backpacking trek and a something
> closer to an athletic event. This is a values call about which I have
deeply
> held opinions, but I'm definitely seeking the former. I'm going to hit the
> Rodale AT volumes, as I recall a couple of good stories (3 month range) in
> there stemming from the 60's.

### And what a cool bunch of replies I got. Eric Ryback's current location,
Hike-USA'a current maildropping, offers of assistance or personal
recollections (spanning three decades), and with the mention of the Rodale
volumes, the reminder (from more than one) that neither the AT nor the hiker
(me) are what they once were. {But then, having strolled up the same Snowbird
Mtn two years ago that I LABORED up as a teenaged throughhiker, I'm thinking
that's for the better.}

Hmmm. Wanted to do something more with this post.... Well, I just want all to
know that I'm grateful for each individual response, and I'm lucky to be able
to post a query to this broadly-experienced list.

Still considering(!)
Sloetoe

Here! Here! I know! What I'm listening to...
Munch a little Dave Matthews lyric action ~~
from Lie in Our Graves:

I can't believe that we would lie in our graves
Wondering if we had spent our living days well
I can't believe that we would lie in our graves
Dreaming of things that we might have been...

reads kinda like:

=====
"The tragedy of man is not that a man dies,
     but what dies within a man while he's still alive."

               Mind your soul.