Re: [at-l] To filter or not to filter..

Paul A Magnanti <pmags@juno.com> wrote:

>> So how many of us would *not* let the possibility of rain, thunder, or
>> lightning keep us from hitting the trail, but then once we get out on our
>> favorite ridge, find us filtering the water from the springs or upslope
>> streams?
>>

> I must confess, I seldom treat my water.

I don't treat sources that I can verify are right from the ground. This was
probably only 25% of the water on the AT in the South. Any open, running
water is suspect. Much that comes out of the ground is resurfacing surface
water and you take your chances.

I've been working on a microbiologist friend of mine to develop an instant
test for the human-borne nasties that we commonly find in our drinking water
in the "wild." His company is actually interested in his research and are
going to fund the project for the next year. If all goes well, an instant
test kit for the most common nasties will be the result. Might be very cool.
High risk at this time - requires some out-of-the-box thinking...

One of my hiking companions in Maine last year came down with Hepatitis. He
skipped treating as well - before he got sick. He certainly contaminated
much in his wake through all of Maine - without meaning to of course.

> The book by Roland Musser(SP?) has a study. The percentage  of people
> contracting giardia is the same for those who filter and those who do not.

Giardia is the least common of the problems you run into because of poor
sanitation or water-borne illness. The human waste processing machine leaves
behind some very nasty beasts, and poor sanitation habits put them in the
water supply out there. Drink them and get sick or not, it's a very
individual thing.

The anecdotal study in Roland's book notwithstanding. It was not science by
any means.

> Most GI illnesses  come from poor hygiene, something rather common on the
> trail. In fact, I remember reading somewhere (sorry..can't remember where)
> where giardia (aka  bever fever) is more often than not transmitted by humans
> than animals.

You are right on here. I cleaned up after every toilet session with an
waterless antibacterial soap. I don't know how many people asked me if I had
diarrhea medicine - they were not particularly good at personal hygiene and
certainly paid the price.