Re: [at-l] Darlington Shelter

It's been a few years, but:

>John and Bethany Garrett wrote:
 >  Hi all.
>Anybody have any tidbits of information about this shelter.

Standard USFS type of shelter. I don't remember a picnic table. Sleeps about 6. Faces east. No particular views.

> Water sources?

Water seemed a bit downhill, a spring, down a blue blaze trail in front of the shelter. Water was not exactly gushing but adequate. Might need a cup to scoop from.

> Condition of the shelter? Surrounding area?

On top of a ridge near the junction of the AT, Tuscarora and Darlington trails. Area seemed fairly clean.

> I had heard that there is no legal camping south of this area other than this shelter before Boiling Springs.

Think that's the case. You can get water near the AT Mid Atlantic maintenance facility, an old barn just before you cross a LARGE creek on a paved bridge.

> I was also told that the last 13-14 miles from the shelter to Boiling Springs included walking through "suburban developments"? Anybody know first hand exactly what that means? Ummm..... suburban developments................????????????

That's a bit strong. You ARE crossing the Cumberland Valley, but suburban? Good calzone restaurant not too far off the trail at one point. The trail follows a slight ridge and goes through fields a lot.

> Thanks in advance!

- Gary from Fairfax