RE: [at-l] Lightwave Pocketbright

I love the new Lightwave Pocketbright.  In my estimation, it's at least
twice as bright as the Turquoise Photon II.  It also solves the two most
serious problems of the Photon, side scattering and waterproofness.

My Turquoise Photon II developed a switch problem during a winter snow storm
last year such that it wouldn't switch completely off.  This drained the
battery in about two days.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect that ice
was the culprit.  The Pocketbright works fine when dropped into the sink.

The Photons also have an annoying amount of light scattering out of the
sides of the LED.  I find that I have to hold my thumb over the LED to shade
my eyes.  When Velcroed to a visor as a headlamp, this is even more
annoying.  The Pocketbright housing is larger and envelops the LED, solving
the problem.

As previously mentioned, the Pocketbright has a better switch (push on/off)
and easier battery replacement (coin twist).  It also comes with a dot of
double-stick Velcro.

The only drawbacks are size and weight.  The Pocketbright is about four
times the volume and twice the weight of the Photon II.

I have not measured the battery life of either product, but the Pocketbright
claims to last longer.

Overall, I prefer the Pocketbright to the Photon II.

Brian