Re: Concluding thought: Re: [at-l] Re: Low level exposure

>So how many of us would *not* let the possibility of rain, thunder, or
>lightning keep us from hitting the trail, but then once we get out on our
>favorite ridge, find us filtering the water from the springs or upslope
>streams?

Think of immunity as a muscle.
It isn't, I know, but just for analogy's sake think of it that way.
Don't exercise your immune system at all and then go out in the woods, the APPALACHIAN TRAIL perhaps (keeping topical here!), or some third world country and guess what will happen to you?
Why do physicians recommend breast feeding infants? Why do physicians recommend immunization innoculations?
Now, the immune system CANNOT protect us from ALL the flora and fauna that would do us in, but it does a darn good job respecting a LOT of it.
I can speak only from my own experience and that experience leads me to believe that an immune system which has seen and responded to a variety of threats is better than one which hasn't .... just as regular hiking  seems to give me more power on the trail than sitting behind a desk ...
I have learned from experience that I will stay healthier longer on trips to Mexico or Asia if my body knows what to expect than if it doesn't.
I don't take idiotic risks with my health ... so I don't stand on top of a bald in an electrical storm, Lekis in hand and pointed to the sky ... and I won't drink from just any source of water ...
I can't say I've found drinking untreated water from well chosen springs and streams in Georgia and North Carolina particularly troublesome if I am dehydrated ... on the otherhand, I carry a filter for when I can't be choosey ...