Re: [at-l] Gear List

Joel,

	Gee I wish I was going on a ten day hike! Especially in the GSMNP. Some
things to consider for long term goals of lightening up are:
	I replaced my Kelty Tioga 6# 4 oz pack with a 3# pack, currently using
the Kelty Tempest 2# 14 oz $69. and eyeing various new ultra light
models that weigh 2#. The Tempest @ 2900 cu inch, will be a tight fit
with 10 days food for sure, perhaps needing to hang sleeping bag or tent
on outside of pack for a few days. Some of the 2# packs are gigantic. I
am anxious to see the Kelty Flight $200. hitting the market soon at 4500
cu inch and less than 2#. Of course you cant always run out and buy new
gear everytime somebody makes something a few ounces lighter.
	I traded my UL full-length Thermarest for a full length Ridgerest. This
winter Ill probably add another closed cell foam pad. I got by with my
Thermarest UL last winter but I had a lot of snow melt underneath me and
a few cold nights too!
	You may be able to modify your stove to burn Esbit. Or make an aluminum
can multifuel stove. Esbit is lighter than alcohol. Typically 1 oz of
Esbit will do what 2 oz of alcohol will do. Also I carry alcohol in a 16
oz soda bottle instead of the heavy Nalgene bottle.
	My 50' of bear bagging rope used to always be parachute cord. There are
other nylon lines available that weigh a lot less. The smaller line is a
little harder to grip, so I wind it around a pull stick to make an easy
handle for pulling up the load.
	This time of year I would probably carry Silkweight long johns, a short
sleeve synthetic T-shirt and maybe a long sleeve too in the Smokys. One
pair of hiking shorts and one pair of synthetic or silk boxers to sleep
in. A lot depends on how much of the day I intend to hike and how much
sitting around time I will have. Eating lunch in wet cloths and sitting
around a cold camp wrapped in a sleeping bag is not everyone's idea of
having fun.
	My Pur hiker has been replaced with a sweetwater inline filter. It
weighs about 2 oz verses 14 oz or more for the Pur hiker. For someone
like me that normally does not purify water this is a great new item!
	This is what is currently working for me. Thing is I think I had just
as much fun back in the days when I carried heavy gear! I keep an open
mind always considering what methods others use. The ATL is the
GEARHEADS source:-)
	I am really enjoying Ray Jardins book "Beyond Backpacking". Read it,
study it with an open mind and you will find great ideas you can adapt
to your individual style of backpacking. I am especially enjoying
information on nutrition and how proper nutrition increases your well
being and therefore makes a long hike more fun.

chase AT99, GG99, ALT2000, Tuscarora coming soon! I got the guides and
maps :-)

JoelShiver@aol.com wrote:

> Okay, Tuckerizers, here's my gear list for my upcoming 10 day walk in the
> GSMNP.  Your comments criticisms and compliments solicited.  E.g., will this
> be enough clothes for the Smokies in July.  I expect I've got the weight down
> maybe to 30 lbs.  I'll weigh it soon.  I may be also taking 10 days food.
>
> The "When You Tote It" Gear List
>
> The Basics
>
> Kelty Super Tioga Backpack
> Eureka Zephyr Tent (3.14)
> Nylon ground cloth for Zephyr
> either Thermarest UL Long or Ridge Rest 3/4
> Sierra Designs LiteLoft 30 degree bag (packed in an OR #3 WP bag)
> Asolo 535 Boots
> 1 pr Komperdell hiking poles
>
> Clothes for a summer hike:
>
> 2 pairs wool socks
> 2 pairs liner socks
> 2 pairs nylon boxers
> 2 pairs nylon hiking shorts
> 2 nylon t-shirts
> 1 Coolmax long sleeve t-shirt
> Polypro Expedition weight long underwear
> Frogg Toggs rain suit
> cap or hat
> Camp moccasins (9 bucks at Walmart)
>
> The Kitchen:
>
> Trangia West Wind stove
> Pint of alcohol fuel in pint Nalgene Bottle
> MSR .85 Liter Titan Kettle (w/lid)
> homemade windscreen
> GI can opener
> Titan Spork
> Pur Hiker Filter
> Polar Pur Treatment
> 2 liter Platypus
> 2 1 liter water bottles
>
> Miscellaneus:
>
> Duct tape (wrapped around hiking poles)
> 2 White Photon II microlights
> 50' nylon cord
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]