Low level exposures in water was Re: [at-l] Phenol red

--- "W F Thorneloe, MD" <thornel@attglobal.net> wrote:
> There may even be some benefit from low level exposures, as is beginning
> to be considered by those questioning the broad use of antimicrobial
> products.

> At 09:56 PM 6/22/2000, Felix wrote:
> >I was told before I took my sample in (which I had to do for mortgage
> >purposes) that if you tell them it is spring water, they will not okay it.
> I can't tell you what the determining factor is/was. All I know is I have
> some of the best tasting water there is.

### Sloetoe sputters in with:
I have no evidence outside of personal experience to back it up, but I think
the low level exposure idea has much to offer by way of explanatory power. It
there's any truth to it, adults with children in public circulation (e.g.
daycare or school) should have nothing to fear from anything floating in our
backcountry water sources -- rather the opposite, were that physically
possible.

But by way of one personal anecdote, on a crude and testosterone-steeped
basis...
As a teenager, one of my favorite trails involved spending the night on a
very nice little promontory above (???Durham???) Connecticut. The water
source for this campsite, usually the last on our hike, was a tiny little
(step-across) stream about a half-mile below the summit. Dark water; heavily
tannined.
First time we camped there, we all got mild trots, mild gas discomfort, but
ferocious, *fragrant* flatulence. (Just imagine that -- 4-6 teenage males,
most closed in nylon tents, with LOUD... well, you get the idea.) Next time
we backpacked this trail, we got just the, ah... flatulence factor. Third
time, we actually had to go back *down*the*mountain*, tank up on another load
of water in the morning, and then wait patiently for the effects to begin
before (as thorough-going American Male-type-youths in the age of disco)
being able to enjoy the benefits of what we came to call something like
"Fartwell Stream" crowded into some parent's car for the ride home. Truly, a
rite of passage best enjoyed in group form....
God, I'm hearing the laughter even now.........

Hmmm. This started out as a sober, deliberative post.
Hope you didn't mind the somewhat... ah... "windy" digression.
Repeated "low level exposure" answers a lot, for me; alternate theories
welcome.

Call me
"What? Me Filter?"
In cheapness and lite, I remain
Your *regular* correspondent,

=====
Sloetoe

   "Sometimes the light's all shining on me,
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately, it occurs to me:
    What a long, strange trip it's been."