Re: [at-l] Phenol red

ThatSloetoe wrote:

> --- Felix <AThiker@smithville.net> wrote:
> > There is one that would be perfect for carryin' bleach for water
> > purification purposes.
> ### I haven't looked it up in forever, but there's a particular url which
> shows the empirical results of the efficacy of various methods of backcountry
> water purification.
> Household bleach was shown to be jaw-droppingly ineffectual at killing the
> nasties.
>
> Sorry, Dude.

Funny thing about that: The water I drink in my house is spring water. There has
been a homestead taking water from this spring for over a hundred years. There
are currently 4 households (11 folks) taking water from it. 15 years ago I had it
tested. It was declared unsafe. Last week, my uncle (one of the 11 folks) had it
tested. It was again declared unsafe. In the hundred plus years that people have
been known to drink from it, there have been no confirmed intestinal problems
that have resulted from the water. So, I may forego the bleach, too...  (I could
go with straight phenol red, I suppose)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98