Re: [at-l] Lyme Disease

In a message dated 6/20/00 6:49:57 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
BGramsbjs@aol.com writes:

<< And if you have any advice for me, it would be appreciated.  No horror
 stories, please!  B.J. Blister  >>

Be grateful. Enjoy your next 300 miles. That's the advice.

Last year i hiked for 10 days in southern VA in the beginning of May and then
recuperated from a broken shoulder (indeed trail related) in southern CT. No
known tick bite. In early July i had a sore throat and felt extremely
fatigued and went to bed. My fiance checked my temp several hours later and
it was 102.9....the first time i'd had a fever since i was a kid (and i'm
45). After 36 hours of this flu bug, i was perfectly fine.

Two weeks later i had a physical 'cause my health insurance was running out.
As an "oh, by the way" i mentioned the flu-bug to my doctor since it was
unusual for me to have a fever. He suggested doing a Lyme titer and lo and
behold, it was positive. A 4 week course of twice a day Doxycycline was
ordered and i'm just fine with NO residual effects.

You and i are both lucky. Resume hiking. Check your body carefully. Never
ignore "flu bugs" especially if you've been outdoors in the previous 2 months
(which for most of us is any time).

Second Chance