Re: [at-l] my hydration system

I have had Platypus bladders for about 3 years, and the only leaks have
been from folding the bag with a piece of duct tape along the side
repairing quite well. I have also returned the bag to Cascade for very
quick replacements. I understand REI will replace them quickly and easily
as a customer service item.

The mouthpiece has leaked, but after abuse. I find that when I use a PUR
filter a bit too long, the charcoal begins to get into the water. These
small pieces will keep the slits open on the mouthpiece, if they don't
block it. Once they get lodged, they have to be removed by pushing out,
which usually opens the slit more. The newer mouthpieces may reduce the
risk by having a smaller opening - plugging into the tube. By carrying the
bag horizontally across the pack, maybe the charcoal will not get down into
the tubing as quickly. I either case, if you pump, replace the filter when
you have to force it significantly, and check for flecks of charcoal. I
think this may be another reason to look at the Sweatwateranywhere inline
filter.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA