Re: [at-l] More on that Bear Attack

In a message dated 6/18/00 1:36:37 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
coosa@fox21.net writes:

<< "According to Park Service trackers, what probably happened was  >>

....there is more to this story than the Park Service is letting on. I am
curious to hear results of autopsy and necropsy.

Second Chance

Cc:            <at-l@backcountry.net>
From:          "Coosa" <coosa@fox21.net>
Date:          Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:20:28 -0400
Subject:       Re: [at-l] Frogg Toggs don\'t gots pockets!

>Coosa said (and I'm glad she did):
>
>I'm questioning so that others can also question --
>>and it's a good discussion thread!
>>

>That looks to me like I came out on the side of Coosa's remarks: good
brands
>are mostly worth it. But I'm definitely not ultra light - high 30# range.

Part of my point was that going UltraLight isn't necessarily the better
choice for everyone.

We each have to weigh the ounces and the cost and the durability and the
usefulness and the conditions under which the item will be used.  Case in
point: JohnO had planned to use a pack made of silnylon but opted for a
heavier pack given that he was hiking in snow and needed something more
substantial to carry his winter gear.  JohnO has the money to have a couple
of "backpacking wardrobes" -- I don't so I don't choose as he does because I
can't afford to.

So if you're like me and you plan to own only one (okay and a backup twin
pack) set of gear, you plan for the  'most extreme 3-season you know you'll
hike in', and you purchase for that range when buying your gear.  Not that
you go out and buy for climbing K2 -- you buy for your style of hiking.
You're careful of ounces and pennies and durability because you can afford
only ONE Backpacking Wardrobe.

I've learned a lot here and over on JohnO's and Michael's site -- and I've
learned a lot from my own research.  I know that I'm not going to sew my own
gear, so I'm choosey when I find something and weigh all the pros and cons
that I can.  If I buy new gear, it's because I've learned from what I've
used, but doesn't mean that I can afford to toss the 'old' gear -- unless
it's blown out of course.

Case in point -- I plan to purchase a tarp, but it will be a 1.9 ripstop (or
a point lighter) because if it rips, it can be repaired with duct tape.  I
know that silnylon can't.  I did buy a sil raincover and I'm going to have
to be careful with it and not brush up against briars-- no easy way to
repair it.

Coosa.