Re: [at-l] Frogg Toggs don\'t gots pockets!

Coosa said (and I'm glad she did):

I'm questioning so that others can also question --
>and it's a good discussion thread!
>
>Coosa

It sure is. I'm getting a lot out of it. Down to three weeks before going
out to do the top 3 mos. of the AT and may the top of the LT, too, I'm
questioning all my gear choices.

I have some stuff with 2000 miles on it and can't say price or intended
durability have a lot to do with my enduring preferences.

What I'm changing/not changing this time:

The Frogg Toggs jacket is strictly for the warm part of the hike; won't
carry my fleece or my front zip/pit zip Marmot 'til Glencliff. I don't much
care if it blows out on me. (Felix's right; it's kind of big.)

My $70 20 degree Kelty Clear Creek sleeping bag has finally lost its loft
and is being replaced by a 10 degree weighing half a pound less and costing
a little over three times as much -- still not down, tho.

My $80 Kelty Yukon pack is pretty much a lightweight frame with pockets - at
under 3# I won't part with it 'til it does.

My $13 Moving Comfort underpants are still fine. So are my $11 men's Walmart
shorts (with POCKETS -- big ones)

I burned the sleeve of my Patagonia lightweight longjohn top, so I've gotten
another to wear hiking; the midweights are my jammies, and I had to replace
the pants after snagging them on a nail at the Pocosin Cabin in SNP.

My $90 Italian mid-weight hiking boots (from REI) have earned their rest;
Jeff Hansen has sold me some Salomons.

I will hike with 10 of the original pieces of my Lekis; Leki replaced the
other 10 at Trail Days. A deer in SNP had gnawed the handles, I never had
baskets on 'em; and I bent one pretty well when it tried to escape to China
through a gap in some Massachusetts boulders.

My MSR shaker jet and Alpine cook kit with (kitchen stainless tablespoon and
REI lexan measuring/drinking cup) are comin' with me again. If I didn't have
a stove I'd do the newbie MSR.

Bagged the Maglite at Mt. Rogers Outfitters when none of us could figure out
how to change the lightbulb. El cheapo's my current brand.

Thorlo Trekker sox and Wigwam's skinniest liners but Dr Scholl's cheapest
pads, for these feet!

Got me a Guidelite -- 1.5" of 3/4-length Thermarest. Goombye 3/4" closed
hole, faithful tho ya were.

That looks to me like I came out on the side of Coosa's remarks: good brands
are mostly worth it. But I'm definitely not ultra light - high 30# range.