Nauga'duck was Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

In a message dated 6/16/2000 4:44:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sloetoe@yahoo.com writes:

<< when I was a kid (let's be kind and say 30 years ago), we would
occasionally
 find ourselves using US8 up the Naugatuck River valley in Connecticut....we
had to drive fast, windows up no matter how hot it was, and pray that no one
needed a pee break, 'cause of the asphixiating stench from the bare slimy
banks of the dead river. All the Nauga's that were slaughtered to give us
Naugahyde were dumped in that poor river.... But at one point in the early
90's, I *did* have to stop and get out, and I was shocked: there was no
stench, the banks were lush, the river bubbled brightly, THERE WAS A
FISHERMAN FLY-CASTING, ..... I stood there with my mouth agape.... Holy Cow.
I NEVER would have thought that possible IN MY LIFETIME. >>

Awww jeeez, now you've gone and made me homesick.  I've fished in that river
many times, although I am still not daring enough to take anything home from
it.  The recovery even from my college years is amazing.

POG