ATML Catawba

I've just read in the Dawn Stringer journal that the Catawba store is
sending
hikers away who try to camp. I wonder if this is a result of last year's
bacteria scare? If you notice, you will see in the next day's entry that a
hiker got sick again with a stomach virus in her journal.

======================================
I noticed this post (above) on ATML & just wanted to pass on this good news
as well as a correction:

Just wanted to say there are 2 Catawba Grocery stories:
1) 1 at Rt 624 & Rt 311
2) the 2nd on eis Rt 311 across from the HomePlace Restaurant

I have re-read Dawn's May 9 entry & it seems logical to me that she is
talking about the Catawba Grocery at Rt 311 & Rt 624 not the other store &
alos we says they camped at Rt 624 so that kinda reinforces this conclusion.
  Also this Catawba Crocery has NOT allowed hikers to use bathroom at least
since 1996 & the gas leak has existed the last couple of yrs.  The camping
situation there is kinda iffy since that have added new gas pumps & covered
the little "pond" next to the store.

Then in the May 10 entry, Dawn says they hike to the 1st road (Rt 311) & go
to Catawba which is described as a 2 mile roundtrip...

So in conclusion, the Catawba Grocery mentioned below (May 9 entry) is not
the store that had the controversy in 1999 concerning water....

Finally, as of May 9, 2000, the Catawba Grocery, across from the HomePlace,
was allowing hikers to tent behind the store and Jeff Williams, a Catawba
resident, told us at Trail days that Mr Saul was allowing to camp behind his
store.

I am happy to say that Mr Saul is a very kind man & does allot for hikers
even though he is not a hiker....  Stop in & see him, leave him some toilet
paper, i am sure he will try to refuse but leave it for him (hikers over the
yrs. have taken many rolls of toilet paper from his store)