[at-l] Re: My gear Part 3 SHADDAP already Kahley

NO - Don't shut up!  You all have been SOOO helpful!  Thank you!

You're suggestions are great!  I didn't realize how little I knew until I got on this list!  I think that the distinction I'm learning to make here is the difference between a 3 day trip, a 10 day trip, and trips over a month.  The 'rules' are different for all of them.  For exampe, I love my stove  - (I know that I'm going to take abuse for this . . .) it's a MSR rapidfire - yes I carry the fuel :) - and I think that what I'm starting to understand is that it's OK for shorter trips where I don't mind the weight (I want the workout) whereas your ideas are definitely better for the longer trips when weight is going to be a factor.

I wasn't planning on taking many clothes.  2 pair of zip-off pants, 2 tank top, 1 SS shirt, 1 LS shirt, and a light jacket.  Is that reasonable for a 10 day trip?

Denise Hluhan wrote:
> but it weighs a lot.

I hope that you can see by now that you don't have to spend thousands
to save pounds.  I admit it...I'm cheap.  I like 70 buck packs and
100 buck tents and bags <g>. Not for everyone and for Pete's
sake, try anything before you buyit!!!!!! Don't go by one person's
opinion (even if she is mostly always right<VVVBG>).
There are things you can do to cut weight that cost almost nothing.

If you use powder, put what you need in a plastic container that
spices come in.  Leave the big heavy container at home in
the bathroom.

same for bug juice or sunscreen...at least look for travel sized
containers.
Take a hard look at your clothes!!!!  This is dangerous so go
slowly here, but think three times about what you pack.

One place where I saced a half pound was my "portable kitchen".
It was just a 3oz plastic kids pencil box where I kept spices
and salt and packets soysauce and such.  Doesn't sound like
much, but the thing is, since I was carrying it, I had the habit
of sticking things into it.  Like more condiments and differsnt
spices and a little can of tuna "just in case".  Just in case
of what??????  In case I had to prepare an impromtu gourmet meal for
six???  When I finally broke down and weighed that sucker, that little
3 oz box weighed over a pound and there was nothing in there that I
REALLY needed...just stuff I thought I might want some day.  When
you think about a pound of 'some day' and carry it everday, it starts
to sink in.  Or at least it did for me.
Now I pack a couple packets like you get in restaurants of salt and
pepper and if I need a condiment for a particular meal, I pack it
with that meal.  If I happen to forget it,..well I don't die for
the lack of some hot and sour sauce <g>.  It breaks down to the
theory that nature abhores a vacum.  I had that box and it seemed
silly to carry it unless there was "STUFF" in it.  You can also
apply that to the monster packs that some outfitters like to
sell.  If you have a 7000 cubic in pack (that weighs 9lbs empty)
you have a tendancy to put stuff in it just because you have the room.
It doesn't matter that you don't REALLY NEED ALL that stuff, you
just end up taking it because you can. Alright....I'll shut up for
now.  There are other gear weenies on this list that love talkin' gear
as much as me and maybe some of them will post their gear list so
you can hear from other points of view.

Oh..please add copious ammounts of YMMV and IMHO to everything
I've said here.      k.

ps.....anyone have the url for the 4oz hammock? <VVVBG>
> What first aid supplies do people carry?  I have a fairly extensive first aid kit, but after talking with some people that have thru-hiked it, they carried almost nothing.  To me this seems like an important precautionary thing and worth carrying in the event that something would happen.  Am I off base here?
>
> And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had a tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2 ½ gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get REALLY sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being excessive?
>
> I would like to post the contents to the list for input if nothing else.  I am out of $$ at this point, but I would like to know what recommendations you have for when I do have some extra.  Does anyone know where I can get a scale?
>
>  ------
>
> Nothing wrong with it at all. Hike your own hike, carry what you want.
>
> When we tear into someone's gear list, it's by permission. The goal - to see
> what other people would eliminate so that you might make a different
> decision and help you lighten your load.
>
> If you have no interest in lightening your load, don't.
>
> No harm, no foul.
>
> One of the 5-timers back on the trail this year carries more weight than any
> two of us would even consider carrying together. He does just fine - except
> his knees are shot...
>
> Me? I'm not going with more than 25 pounds, including food and water, ever
> again on a solo hike. My choice, no one elses.
>
> -p
>
> --
> Paddler
> GA>ME Class of 99
> http://paddler99.trailstories.com

> "Denise Hluhan" <DHLUHAN@mbakercorp.com> wrote:
> >
> > OK - I have a question.  What's wrong with carrying all the gear if you're
> > willing to carry the weight (this is a serious question)?  I'm preparing for
> > my first trek on the AT next weekend.  This will be my first trip that longer
> > than a long weekend - we're looking at 5-10 days.  I've been going through my
> > pack trying to figure out how I can get the weight down (my pack usually
> > weighs about 40 lb - that's a guess, I don't have any scales), but every time
> > I try to do it, I don't get very far.  I thought about posting the contents to
> > the list, but I don't have any scales so I can't give weights, and it seems
> > like everyone here wants you to carry as little as possible - which is fine if
> > you want to be an ultra lightweight packer - but I also kind of like the
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]