Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

Greetings,

I carry two one-liter nalgenes and a 16 oz. squeeze bottle that goes in my
Dana Wet Rib.  My hiking partner also carries the same, but he keeps two MSR
4 liter dromedary bags stashed so we can load up with water as necessary,
and so we have to filter once upon arriving at the shelter.  They also come
in handy when we pass a place that has tap water along the trail (so we
don't have to filter) that's not far from our campsite, and also when we're
not going to camp near water.  On our last hike we loaded up on water at
Mount Greylock in MA before heading the next 3 miles or so to the shelter.
Between the two of us, we go through a good bit of water at camp in the
evening and morning.  Arriving at camp, we down a liter of water mixed with
Cytomax (exercise and recovery drink), we cook freeze dried meals for dinner
that together take between 28 and 40 ounces, have water with dinner, coffee
or hot chocolate after dinner, a water bottle close at hand during the
night, water for oatmeal and hot chocolate/coffee in the morning, water to
drink, and we share a liter of Cytomax before hitting the trail.  Upon
leaving, we usually start with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 liters each.

<<snipped>>
>  >And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had
a tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2
½ gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems
really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get
REALLY sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being
excessive?