Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

>From: "Denise Hluhan" <DHLUHAN@mbakercorp.com>
>
>So what a normal weight

No such thing...  each person (adn situation) has their own "normal" weight.
  I used to carry about 40 lbs just for a weekend.  Now I'm down to around
25 and still dropping...

>What first aid supplies do people carry?

I took a Wilderness First Aid course (highly recommended, by the way) a few
years ago.  At first, I could just see my first aid kit exploding as I
learned how to use more first aid equipment.  Then, we discussed ways of
doing without a lot of extra stuff and using alternatives.  You don't need a
sam splint, a couple of hiking poles or a sleeping pad will do - you don't
need povidone iodine, iodine treated water will do -etc.

I find that for most people, when they first start getting into backpacking,
it seems almost necessary to go heavier before you can learn how to go
safely and comfortably go lighter.

>And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily ...  So what would be a
>good safe amount of water without being excessive?

Use your maps and guidebooks to learn where the water sources are.  If it's
only a couple of miles to your next source, you do not need to carry much
extra (as some would say, why carry water to water?).  If it's 15 miles to
your next source, you'll need to carry more.  The more you hike, the more
you'll know just what you and your body will need in the conditions you are
hiking in.  I try to end up with just a bit of water at my next source.
Because I use iodine to treat, I know I'll have to wait a while before I can
use whatever water is available at any given source.

Also, I used to dehydrate very easily as well.  As I got into better shape,
I find I now need less water.  I only had problems with dehydration once
last year.

>Does anyone know where I can get a scale?

Don't know how much they cost, but you can buy postal scales at some
stationery stores and probably places like Staples.  Or, just bring your
stuff to a post office and weigh it at the scale there.  :-)

FWIW, even though I'm not in a rush, I hike faster carrying less weight, I
can take longer breaks in special places, I am less tired at the end of the
day, and given my knees, the less weight I carry, the more years I'll be
able to continue to hike.

Happy hiking,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99