Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

So what a normal weight.  I always pack with someone, and I always end up
carrying the 2-man tent - which is fine (easier to keep it all together).
Somehow I doubt that the food he carries counter balances the weight of the
tent.  Basically the only things of any weight in my pack are tent, sleeping
bag, water filter, stove, first aid supplies, mess kit, fire starting
materials, hammock, book and water - but it weighs a lot.

What first aid supplies do people carry?  I have a fairly extensive first
aid kit, but after talking with some people that have thru-hiked it, they
carried almost nothing.  To me this seems like an important precautionary
thing and worth carrying in the event that something would happen.  Am I off
base here?

And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had a
tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2 ½
gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems
really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get
REALLY sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being
excessive?

I would like to post the contents to the list for input if nothing else.  I
am out of $$ at this point, but I would like to know what recommendations
you have for when I do have some extra.  Does anyone know where I can get a
scale?