Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

So what a normal weight.  I always pack with someone, and I always end up carrying the 2-man tent - which is fine (easier to keep it all together).  Somehow I doubt that the food he carries counter balances the weight of the tent.  Basically the only things of any weight in my pack are tent, sleeping bag, water filter, stove, first aid supplies, mess kit, fire starting materials, hammock, book and water - but it weighs a lot.

What first aid supplies do people carry?  I have a fairly extensive first aid kit, but after talking with some people that have thru-hiked it, they carried almost nothing.  To me this seems like an important precautionary thing and worth carrying in the event that something would happen.  Am I off base here?

And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had a tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2 ½ gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get REALLY sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being excessive?

I would like to post the contents to the list for input if nothing else.  I am out of $$ at this point, but I would like to know what recommendations you have for when I do have some extra.  Does anyone know where I can get a scale?

—------

Nothing wrong with it at all. Hike your own hike, carry what you want.

When we tear into someone's gear list, it's by permission. The goal - to see
what other people would eliminate so that you might make a different
decision and help you lighten your load.

If you have no interest in lightening your load, don't.

No harm, no foul.

One of the 5-timers back on the trail this year carries more weight than any
two of us would even consider carrying together. He does just fine - except
his knees are shot...

Me? I'm not going with more than 25 pounds, including food and water, ever
again on a solo hike. My choice, no one elses.

-p

--
Paddler
http://paddler99.trailstories.com

"Denise Hluhan" <DHLUHAN@mbakercorp.com> wrote:

> OK - I have a question.  What's wrong with carrying all the gear if you're
> willing to carry the weight (this is a serious question)?  I'm preparing for
> my first trek on the AT next weekend.  This will be my first trip that longer
> than a long weekend - we're looking at 5-10 days.  I've been going through my
> pack trying to figure out how I can get the weight down (my pack usually
> weighs about 40 lb - that's a guess, I don't have any scales), but every time
> I try to do it, I don't get very far.  I thought about posting the contents to
> the list, but I don't have any scales so I can't give weights, and it seems
> like everyone here wants you to carry as little as possible - which is fine if
> you want to be an ultra lightweight packer - but I also kind of like the
> exercise associated with carrying the extra weight.
[clip]