Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

Denise Hluhan wrote:

> OK - I have a question.  What's wrong with carrying all the gear if you're willing to carry the weight (this is a serious question)?

Absolutely nothing!!!  When I first joined this list, lo these many
years ago, I proudly stated, and this is a near quote.....
"OK.....I admit it, I'm a mule.  I carry a lot but it doesn't really
bother me."  At that time, I admitted to a pack weight of 42, but
truth is, it was more like 50.  I had a everything I needed/wanted.

Now my summer pack weighs approx half that. And I still have
everything
I want/need.  OK....my estimation of what I need has changed.
GAWD....
I've been know to leave the house without my beloved Cabela fleece
from
time to time.  <G> But the bottom line is, I find I am happier with a
lighter pack.

A lot of it does come from the ribbon/place concept that Sloey Toe
put so well.  I too am a low mile...love living in the woods type of
hiker.  I enjoy camp life and can be easily content by starting at 9
and quiting at 5.  I've jsut found that I enjoy the other
16hrs better if I'm not as tired.

Ya have to understand that most of us either dream of, plan or have
hiked the AT, and that is generally not a 9 to 5 thang.  But even for
the most "place" oriented hikers, some the the "ribbon" thinking
can be benificial.

I can honestly say that in cutting that extra 20 pounds from my pack,
I don't think I have ever had a moment when I said "Damn....now why
didn't I bring _____X___ (fill in the blank). Which to me means that
I didn't need it in the first place.

> So I guess that my actual question is this - is there an actual health related reason why we should not carry that much weight?

Ask that question again when you are looking at fifty <sigh>.
I'm not a doctor but it seems to me that joints have a given
useful life.  Maybe we can increase the numbers of steps
we can take over the course of a life if we reduce the anount
of weight they carry for each step.

And the first one that cracks wise at ME saying this DIES! <VVBG>
 Bottom line is you can carry what ever you want.
But I have to ask is that one of those 3oz hammocks or the
one pounder <g>.    k.