Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

This came back to me as undeliverable, and I would really like some comments on this, so if this is posted twice, I apologize.

OK - I have a question.  What's wrong with carrying all the gear if you're willing to carry the weight (this is a serious question)?  I'm preparing for my first trek on the AT next weekend.  This will be my first trip that longer than a long weekend - we're looking at 5-10 days.  I've been going through my pack trying to figure out how I can get the weight down (my pack usually weighs about 40 lb - that's a guess, I don't have any scales), but every time I try to do it, I don't get very far.  I thought about posting the contents to the list, but I don't have any scales so I can't give weights, and it seems like everyone here wants you to carry as little as possible - which is fine if you want to be an ultra lightweight packer - but I also kind of like the exercise associated with carrying the extra weight.

I guess that this is an issue too - I'm one of those people that don't necessarily hike for distance, but rather experience.  I don't walk fast, I walk at a slow to medium pace and pay a lot of attention to what's around me.  And I LOVE to take pictures.  Hiking for me is a way to get from place to place - it's the places that I want to experience.  And if I find a place that I want to spend some time at, I have been known to set up camp as early as 6:00.  I want the time to enjoy where I am and relax.  And a large part of that is carrying "luxury" items - a hammock and a book.

So I guess that my actual question is this - is there an actual health related reason why we should not carry that much weight?  Or is it OK to carry the weight if that's the experience you want?  This question has been tormenting me for the past week and a half.  Is there a 'right' answer?

JoelShiver@aol.com wrote:

> Chompin' at the bit to see what I'm carrying.  Soon, soon.  Got a few things
> to get, yet.

Joel, Joel, Joel....ya missed the point!  You're s'pposed
to post here first so we can tell ya what to buy before you
make mistakes <g>

Speaking of gear,  I have it in  my head to do a  sols LD canoe
trip myself this sept and read your gear list with much interest.
I have on question (well actually I have a ton o'questions but
they can wait till you get back from hiking)  But for today,
I ask....how in the hell do you carry all that gear on portage??????
I'm groaning just thinking about trying to move my canoe by myself,
let alone my gear and I can't even imagine what your rig weighs.
Beware....you are spoiled ;*) by the laws of displacement!
I think you may be a prime candidate for backpack overpackitis
<VVVBG>
 In the meantime, you can go to