Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

> I have these questions:

> 1) Is this practical for someone who is more or less, although not
> completely, out of shape?

Should be no problem. sounds like a nice leisurely pace. Is it your
goal to spend a night at EACH shelter?  Or could you skip a few?
Some people would think some of this is too slow.  remember it won't
get dark until 9+ each nite.

 Expect a heavy pack.  10 days is a lot of food and gas.  I've always
wondered if it would work to hide a resupply, in a bear proof
container, somewhere between clingmans dome and newfound gap.

> 2) Are there any problems with the availability of water given the current
> drought.

could be.  you may need to explore downhill a ways at some shelters.
I believe there are caretakers in the summer???   they should help
with finding water.

> 3) Do I need to or want to take a tent, since all my nights are in shelters?

I personally would recommend some sort of shelter.  You never know
what might happen.  Of coarse, this is more critical in the winter.

> (I do snore rather loudly.)

doesn't everyone?  besides, they wont let you tent just because you
snore

> 4) Will bugs be a big problem in the evening, and, if so, anything other than
> mosquitoes (e.g. black flies this far south?)?

I don't even remember mosquitoes

> 5) Would I be better off in avoiding any of these shelters, e.g., will
> Davenport Gap Shelter's proximity to a road be a problem?

no.

however some are getting over used.  expect no fire wood. of coarse
you wont need any this time of yr.

expect LOTS of mice!!

If you can fit it in, sheep's pen gap, campsite 13, is on the old AT
and a great campsite.  but is mile or so on flat trail out of your
way.  it would be better than Birch Spring Shelter.  but, just
remember the LONG  climb up that 1st day.

> I appreciate your help in answering these questions as well as offering any
> other advice, hints or tips.

remember the smokies are a lot tougher than the milage would
indicate.  take you time and enjoy it.   I've done this section
several times.   I'm actually getting a little tired of shelter
hopping in the smokies.  there are LOTS of really nice lower altitude
tent sites next to flowing streams.  I'm going to try and explore
those more.

t.