[at-l] Re: SoVT bugs and H2O

Gary, Gary, Gary--

You want water?  It's been raining here for the past week or so,
we're about many inches above normal YTD.  The trail is pretty much
mud where it's not rock.  The rain does keep the bugs from flying,
but as long as the streams stay cold, the blackflies will continue to
reproduce.  Mosquitos love the standing water, and have been very
active for this early in the year.

I would bring a headnet (I like the OR with the metal band too) to
wear when you are not moving, and dress with long pants, tho this can
get gruesome when temps get high like they did this weekend. I keep a
light weight long sleeved shirt handy for stops only.

Blackflies can't get thru clothes like mosquitoes can (see previous
post on Blackfly dining techniques), but mosquitoes are more
sensitive to DEET.  The problem is that you sweat the DEET right off,
so I only apply it when I stop for a rest or meals.  I use 100% which
is a bit greasy, but marginally effective against blackflies.  Works
fine against the 'skeeters.  A dab behind the ears and neck, on the
temples, and on the arms (the elbow area seem to be very attractive)
I wear a baseball hat and spray it too.

My experience has been that blackflies avoid the inside of shelters,
it seems they need to see some sky to feel comfortable.  When I get
them in my tent,they spend most of the time at the top trying to get
out. Mosquitoes however, seem to like the dark.  I'd definately bring
a tent, I've even set it up for lunch breaks on occasion to get some
respite.

I'm definatly bait for bugs, being somewhat out of shape, I exude
plenty of attractants (ewww!) such as heat, C02 and lactic acid.  Old
timer's I've been with just seem to tolerate the critters, so I'm
trying to develop that kind of body language with mixed results.
Sticking fern fronds under your hat can fan the critters off as you
walk.

The constant whine factor can be very tiring too.  I remember after
getting off the trail, still thinking I still heard the buzz of tiny
wings.

Don't let this spoil your hike, just be ready for it and understand
it's part of the "New England Experience".

Enjoy,

Cosmo