Re: [at-l] Gnats was Trip Report, Thornton Gap to (ulp!) Skyland

Greetings,

I always thought bounce worked because gnats are attracted to humans by
static cling.....

Actually, a good temporary diversion for gnats is to hold your hand straight
over your head.  Silly looking, yes, but gnats instinctively seek the
highest point of your body, since the highest point normally includes the
eyes, ears and nose.  That's one lesson I learned from the baseball diamonds
of Alabama.  Another one was that it's okay to throw at a batter during
warm-ups if they leave the on deck circle to time your pitches - the fallout
from that will scatter the gnats as well.......

Tim