Re: [at-l] Black Flies (and repellant)

When I went through the 100 mile wilderness I was fortunate to hit the
opening of black fly and mosquito season.  I experimented with Deet and Avon
Skin So Soft. We found that the Deet repelled the mosquitos pretty
effectively, and the Skin So Soft worked on the black flys. It didn't repell
them, but they drowned in it when they landed on the skin. It had no effect
on the skeeters. When we finished he hike, we hitched a ride into
Millinocket with a logger. I asked him what he used for a repellant and he
said Skin So Soft.  I have also talked with other people who found that
product ineffective and swore by Deet. As usual, YMMV.

Frank