[at-l] Sleep Potions (Was:Trip Report, Thornton Gap to (ulp!) Skyland)

In general, I'd be a bit leery on use of sleepers in the backcountry.
Tylenol PM and similar over the counter agents use antihistamines with
sleep as a side effect. These can increase your risk for heat exhaustion
with cholinergic properties. The idea of melatonin and serotinin for sleep
has been popular and somewhat attractive. I would again caution against the
5-HTP as it can cause hyperthermia, muscle contractions and delirium.
Melatonin is a great deal safer, especially as there have been few studies
showing difference from placebo. Granted, the risks are low.

There are problems with any sleeper, particularly with the risk of falls
and injury. If one is used, one of the newer rapidly metabolized agents
(Ambien or Sonata) make a bit of sense but are expensive. They work best
when taken with Gatorade(T).

It makes more sense to evaluate the reason for poor sleep. If it is pain,
take your favorite analgesic. If it is the Ridgerest, consider a
Thermorest. If it is the snoring sheltermates, consider homicide (unless I
am there).

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA